While built-in bookshelves are attractive, there are many other options: modular, shelves with brackets, corner shelves, open cabinets, hutches, cubes, leaning, adjustable track shelving, and more.
Create Eye-catching Bookshelves or Shelves
Bookshelves don’t have to be boring. Whether your style is traditional, coastal, antique, early America, Asian, modern, or whatever, here are a few ways to turn ordinary bookshelves into an eye-catching display:
– Show off your collections and passions
– Forget symmetry and be bold
– Vary accessory height
– Place an interesting object on a horizontal stack of books
– Group like items (books, art, seashells, etc.)
– Add art
– Use baskets or glass containers
– Contrast dark shelves with light objects (and vice versa)
– Organize books and objects by color
– Layer picture frames, art, mirrors, and trays behind other items.
– Put a mirror behind objects you want to highlight.
Decorate Your Shelves Artfully
Gone are the days when encyclopedias lined bookshelves. Today, bookshelves are not just for books. They can be used to display art, vacation finds, family photos, music boxes, collections, and anything else you like looking at when you’re in the room. Here are some ideas for bringing out the beauty of your shelves, before you even populate them. – Paint your bookshelves or shelves the same color as the walls to create a unified look.
– Flank identical bookshelves on either side of a doorway, window, or fireplace.
– Use open shelving with decorative brackets.
– Wallpaper the back of the bookshelves so they pop.
– Paint the back of the bookshelves by pulling a color from an item in the room (such as a couch, chair, or piece of art.)
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/9545551